Saturday, December 26, 2015

Playing cards


December 13, 1932 - Lawrence, Ronald and Harry were absent today.  Kenneth J. came after Ronald's books and assignments.  Mildred, Evie and I played "500" this evening.
December 14, 1932 - All back in school except Harry.  He isn't coming back until next Monday.  We're getting our program for December 23 lined up pretty well.  We're going to send invitations to everyone in the district.  Raymond Kahler birthday.
December 15, 1932 - Tonite Evie, Mote and I played "500".  We surely had fun.  When we quit Mote and I were in the hole and Evie had about 200, we bid too much and then of course, we'd be set.  Mr. Walker had to chase us to bed or we'd played until morning, just about.

Grandma's love of playing cards started long before I remember her teaching me solitaire games, that's for sure.

I still remember the first game she taught me and that she couldn't believe how many times I was lucky enough to win "Clock" -- I couldn't believe it either.  I remember Grandma Anna cheating at solitaire, but stating that it didn't hurt anybody if she did.  I also recall being extremely perturbed playing "99" with the family, because for a time there I was sure everyone was ganging up on me.  I was at that age when kids really, really hate losing at anything.  I did survive the ordeal and now consider it character-building.  I used to "help" Grandpa with his solitaire games, so much so that he'd act all put out about it.  Of course, he wasn't fooling anyone with that act.

No comments:

Post a Comment