Wednesday, December 9, 2015

The right "Over the Top"?


December 10, 1932 - Snowed today.  We baked and cleaned for tomorrow.  Ray went down town and bought me a pair of overalls to wear to school.  Ray and I went to Hoskins tonite to Lisetta and Walt Gutzman's charivari dance.  We had a real good time.
December 11, 1932 - Art, Rudolph Kahler, Annie, Ola, Marie, Clifford, Meta and Lyle were here for dinner for Granddad's birthday.  I was going to the party for Raymond K. at Hall's with Art and Rudolph.  Rudolph's car wouldn't start, so Ola took us.  Ray stayed home, he said it was too cold for him.  Had a good time.  Stopped at schoolhouse on way home and started a fire (2:00 a.m.).  Grandpa Brogren's birthday.
December 12, 1932 - 25 degrees below zero this morning. I was surely glad we stopped at the schoolhouse "last nite" and started a fire.  Ronald and Harry were absent today.  I guess both are sick.  I went to bed at 7:00 this evening just because I was tired and sleepy.

In answer to Nancy's question about an earlier post and the game "Over the Top", this is the best I came up with so far.  I seem to remember Grandma talking about Rook previously, so maybe I am on the right track.

Boy, it was sure nice that Grandma had a good excuse for coming home late . . . "But, Mom, we went up to the schoolhouse to start a fire and it took FOREVER."  Or, Grandma Anna figured she was a grown-up and could do as she pleased.  I don't have a good grasp on which way that might have gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment