Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Barely back to 1932 and it's cherries, dresses and a baby already


June 28, 1932 - Hilda, Mom, and I picked a bushel of cherries from the three trees west of the house.  After dinner we took Hilda home and then went to Norfolk.  (Ray took us.)  Mom got a new voile dress.  I couldn't find one I liked, so bought some voile and Mom is going to make it for me.
June 29, 1932 - Mom cut out my dress this morning.  I canned 18 pints of pickled cherries.  Ray took Mom to Wayne this afternoon to get some hemstitching done on my dress.  Ray went out to Ola's again this evening.
June 30, 1932 - Ralph came after Mom this morning.  I washed a few clothes and did some ironing.  I went down town this afternoon and paid the telephone bill.  Got my watch back from Norfolk.  R.R. came in this evening and said they had an 8 lb. baby girl born about 6:30 p.m.

I know we've been away a while, but does anyone know who R.R. is?  It is not ringing a bell with me.

I had heard that Grandma Anna had some mad sewing skills.  This bears it out pretty well -- bought fabric one day and then cut it out and was to the point of needing hemstitching the next.  We don't know if she had a particular pattern here or not, but I understand she could look at a dress in a shop, take a few notes and make some little sketches, and then could go home and make a very similar dress.  Gotta like that kind of talent.

The photo isn't of Grandma or of Grandma Anna, but I liked it.  Well, heck this isn't the photo I wanted but it is nice, too.  I'll try to use the other one another day, it's kinda cute.


No comments:

Post a Comment