Thursday, December 11, 2014

A sad day for a little boy


September 13, 1965

Dear Mom, Dad, Tom, and Grandma,

Guess I better sit myself down and write you a letter.  Don't know what's the matter with me lately.  Seem to be so busy, but really can't think of anything I've done.  Guess it's a case of "the hurrieder I go, the behinder I get."

Well, Dale has started school.  After the first day he said he wanted to carry his lunch rather than eat in the lunch room.  Then the next day they sent home menus for the month.  When I read to him what they were going to have he decided he would eat the hot lunch.

I had ordered Dale's clothes from Sears.  They didn't get here til Wednesday after four.  So he had to wear his Sunday School pants to school for two days.  I had told him he would have to wear them to school.  So the first morning I went in to get him up he said he wasn't going to get up because he didn't want to wear his Sunday pants.  So I said okay, but then he got up anyway.

He catches the bus at 8:15 and gets home at 2:30.  School is from 8:45 to 2:00.  I get up at 7 every morning.  That's really something after being able to sleep as late as I wanted for nearly a year.

I have Pat's kids today (the one that looked like Leila).  She got sick during the night.  Her husband called me up at 6:30 this morning and asked if I'd go over and get the boys.  Then they put her in the hospital.  The doctor said he thought it was pancreas infection.  But he won't know for sure til the results of the blood tests are in.

Jim's mother is on her way up so I won't have these little live wires much longer.  Sure is a job taking care of them, when I'm not used to it.

We have a different TV now -- a console model.  Gary traded a gun for a pistol for the TV.


The only things you left here were your tablet, the crossword puzzle book, and a handkerchief.

When we got home that night after taking you to the train Dale said, "This sure is a sad day with Grandma and Grandpa leaving."


Shirlee and Bill spent one night with us.  They were on their way to Lake Tahoe.  Sure was a surprise when they drove up.

Dale rides his bicycle without the training wheels.  I sure was surprised when he told Gary he wanted them off.  I thought he would want those wheels on for a long time.  But it was just a month that he used them.

Now, I can't think of any more to write about.  Guess I'll close and get this thing mailed.


Love,
Gary, Greta, Dale and Mary

How sweet and intuitive of little six-year-old Dale to recognize a sad day.  I don't think the photo shows what Mom ordered for school clothes, but those are from the 60's.  Look at the prices!

Two more letters from the 60's and then we are back to Grandma and 1932.

No comments:

Post a Comment