Monday, December 15, 2014

Scooter must not have lasted long


October 26, 1965

Dear Mom, Dad, Grandma, and Tom,

I'm going to cause a snowstorm or something by answering your letter right away.  Got Gary's card yesterday.  Thank you for his birthday present.  He hasn't decided what to use it for yet.

No, Bill never sent any snapshots.  As I told you on the phone, I haven't had a letter from him since last May before Memorial Day.

I'll bet you're really enjoying not having any night classes.

I never found a Perquacky game.  I look up at Raley's every time I go up there.  I thought sure they would have one now that they have all their Christmas stuff out -- but no such luck.

Was that Mrs. Jason Preston that substituted?

I got a card saying I would receive 12 issues of Redbook as a gift from you so maybe I'll get it this time.  Sure hope so.

Oh, this Mary.  The other day she had eaten her cereal but left the milk in the bowl.  I told her to drink it up.  She says, "The milk doesn't taste good.  It tastes like wet carrots."  Almost every morning she has some wild dream to tell about.  I'm sure she makes it all up as she goes along.  But she is so serious and her eyes get so big.

We have two dogs now.  A stray came around.  Gary thought he looked so funny he decided to keep him.  He is part poodle, I guess.  Any way he is gray with curly hair.  Some of it hangs over his eyes and you can hardly see them.  I think he's cute and he's so friendly.  Spotty is pretty jealous yet, though.  At first he wouldn't let Scooter eat.  I'd give them each a dish. Spotty would take a bite out of one, then run to the other and growl at Scooter if he so much as moved toward either dish.


I went on a sewing spree last week.  Made new pajamas for the kids and a nightgown for me.  Plus 5 hand puppets for the school carnival.


The kids have had quite a cough the last week or so.  But it is finally letting up.

I got myself elected treasurer of the auxiliary.  I sure was surprised.

October 27, 1965

Didn't get this finished yesterday.

Gary's Mom called last night.  Gary's Uncle Oscar passed away yesterday morning.  If you remember at the shower at Wynot, he was the one who acted as master of ceremonies.  He was sick about a week.  Mom wasn't even sure what the trouble was.


Since you don't have anything to do these days I thought you might enjoy this thing.


Guess I'll close and get this mailed.

Love, 
Gary, Greta, Dale and Mary

I do not recall hearing about a dog named Scooter.  Hope everything worked out for him.

2 comments: