Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Gemini 4


June 3, 1965

Dear Mom and Dad,

Well, if I'm lucky maybe this will get there in time for your anniversary.  I'm watching the Gemini flight on TV.  It's in the air now so I guess I can relax a little bit.


Gary and Dale are still asleep.  But Mary is up and around.  She was reading to her dolls a little bit ago.  But now she is coloring and singing to herself.  My lady-like daughter who is scared to death of worms just loves to play with snails.  She has two jars with about six in each one.

How was the Alumni banquet?  We had our fireman's ball that night.  There was a very disappointing turnout.  They sold lots of tickets, but hardly anyone showed up.  But we had a good time anyway.


I had a nice letter from Janice Jaeger last week.  Where is Janet Carson now?  Did they go to Rhode Island?

Did I tell you I had Mary's hair cut?  It sure looks nice and is so easy to take care of.


Our new address will be 8856 Timm Ave., Fair Oaks.  As it looks now we will be moving about the 18th.  Dale's last day of school is June 11.  I have to go to school tomorrow for a birthday party for the kids who have birthdays in the summer.

Mary went to the dentist Tuesday and I'm very happy to say that she doesn't need any work.


Did you get your reservations for August 4th?

Mary is telling me some wild story about a mouse that put dirt in her eye and she chased him into the jungle.

Dale and Mary have been going around here asking riddles.  They got a book of riddles from the book club so that's what we've been hearing.  Gary just about fell over when Mary asked him this one:  "Why does the elephant wear sunglasses?"  "So nobody will recognize him."


Say, if you ever happen to run across my notebook that I made in Public School Music, please sent it or bring it.  But don't look for it especially.  I may even have thrown it away.  I can't remember.

I can't think of anything else to write about.  So I guess I'll close and get this out in the mailbox.

Happy Anniversary.

Love,
Gary, Greta, Dale and Mary

Here is a little about the June 3, 1965 space flight (from wikipedia, of course).  And the fabulous photo is of Astronaut White during his space walk:

     Gemini 4 (officially Gemini IV) was the second manned space flight in NASA's Project Gemini, occurring in June 1965. It was the tenth manned American spaceflight (including two X-15 flights at altitudes exceeding 100 kilometers (54 nmi)). Astronauts James McDivitt and Edward H. White, II circled the Earth 66 times in four days, making it the first US flight to approach the five-day flight of the Soviet Vostok 5. The highlight of the mission was the first space walk by an American, during which White floated free outside the spacecraft, tethered to it, for approximately 20 minutes. Both of these accomplishments helped the United States overcome the Soviet Union's early lead in the Space Race.

     The flight also included the first attempt to make a space rendezvous as McDivitt attempted to maneuver his craft close to the Titan II upper stage which launched it into orbit, but this was not successful.

     The flight was the first American flight to perform many scientific experiments in space, including use of a sextant to investigate the use of celestial navigation for lunar flight in the Apollo program.


No comments:

Post a Comment