Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Next stop, 1932


February 4, 1966

Dear Mom,

Late again.  I don't know where the time goes.  Everything creeps up on me.  Especially birthdays.  I always forget to buy a card.
We got the package.  Thank you so much for everything.  Mary sure liked her presents.  You should have seen her in those high heels.  With the money you sent we got a new pair of shoes.

I had her birthday party Tuesday, February 1.  She had a real nice party.  There were 10 kids and 5 mothers.  I had it in the morning at 10 o'clock.  Dale was kind of mad at me because I had it while he was in school.

Connie Sue made it down.  That little girl of hers sure is a darling.

Dale got his first report card Wednesday.  He got all A's and B's.  But his teacher sent a note saying, "Dale does good work when he doesn't waste time talking to his neighbors."

February 8

I'll bet you are just about ready to disown me.  I guess I've been off schedule.  I usually write letters in the morning, but lately I've had to hurry up and get the house straightened up so I can go gadding.  Seems I've been doing an awful lot of that lately.  Every time we go some place Mary puts on some of her perfume and hand lotion.  And nobody else gets to use her pretty soap.  She sure has a lot of fun with the doll you sent.  The clothes from Heidi fit her, too.

Dale really enjoys the dart game.  So do I.  I like those nice, soft, safe darts.

I finally bought myself a pair of electric scissors.  They sure are fun.  I was almost afraid to use them though. Afraid I would mess something up.

Say, where did you get those little thread snippers or whatever you call them that you gave me a year ago for Christmas?  One of the gals in auxiliary thought they were really nice.

Has it warmed up back there?  We have been having some pretty nice weather.

I may be losing my babysitting job soon.  King and Arline are planning on moving to Canada.  They will run a lodge about 200 miles north of White Horse in The Yukon Territories.  Sure will miss them.

Here's how Dale's report card looked:

Subject / Achievement / Effort:

Reading / Primer / A
Language / A / A
Math / B / B
Science / B / A
History, etc. / B / B

Mary makes me think of Bill when she gets in front of a mirror.  You should see her making faces at herself.  Last night I thought she was in bed.  I got up from the TV to go to bathroom.  There she was in the bathroom in front of the mirror making faces.  Told me she was brushing her teeth.

One of these days soon I'll get your birthday present and Aunt Myrtle's mailed to you.  It will probably be the first part of next week.

We sure have received a lot of compliments on the lamp you gave us.  Thanks again.

Well, I guess I better sign off and get this out before the mailman comes by.

Love,
Gary, Greta, Dale and Mary


All I have today (since I have Holiday Brain at the moment) in the way of comment is that the average high temp in Whitehorse in December is 16.7F and the average low is 2.3F.  Compare that to July when the numbers are 69.1F and 46.4F.  On balance, I think I'll stay put.  The photo is of Whitehorse, as you may have guessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment