Tuesday, October 7, 2014

The cold shoulder?


June 19, 1932 - Went to Harry Kahler's today for his birthday (all of us, including Grussmother and Grussfather).  Loretta, Martha, and Florence gave me the brr! shoulder.  Didn't bother me.  Wallace K. and his girl, Gertrude Lueber, and Art Green and Veronica Goeres were down from Osmond.  I stayed with them.  In the p.m. we drove to Winside and Wayne.  Helen Kilmer's birthday.
June 20, 1932 - Worked some more on my rug today.  Cloudy this a.m. so we didn't wash.  Cleared up in p.m.  Ray went out to Ola's.  We shook down two dishpans full of mulberries this evening.  Dora and George came from Butte Sat. and are going back tomorrow.  Louis Brogren birthday.
June 21, 1932 - We canned 13 quarts of mulberry sauce and 2 pints of mulberry jam today.  Clara was here this p.m.  Mom did some sewing for her.  Arnold came tonite.  We went for a little ride east of town and then came back and talked.

Here we have one of Grandma's few mentions of how she's feeling/thinking as opposed to just reporting on her comings and goings.  Spoiler alert - with my next post, we will see that at least Florence and Grandma made up pretty quickly.

Ah, mulberries!  I remember helping hold the sheet while the mulberry tree was shook.  I do not recall Grandma ever canning any mulberry sauce or jam.  I think I would have enjoyed both.




3 comments:

  1. I remember mulberry sauce. Sometimes Grandma would put rhubarb in the sauce to give it a little zip. I liked it better that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wallace and Gertrude (Luebbers) Kahler were my grandparents, both gone now. I enjoyed reading about their time spent with family.

    Darrell Kahler
    David City, NE

    ReplyDelete