Thursday, October 16, 2014

More 1963


March 5, 1963

Dear Mom, Dad, Grandma, and Tom,

Well, I am answering both Grandma's and Mom's letter in one.


I guess I'll start out with some of Dale's latest "bright" remarks.  I may have told you this one already so bear with me.  The other morning he got up and told me that he couldn't breathe very well because he had sinus congestion.

Then day before yesterday Dale and two of his friends came running to the house.  They informed me that they were the Marines and hadn't had anything to eat for three months and that they just had to have some cookies.  Do you think they got some?  Ha!  Ha!


And then the other night -- Mary was pestering Dale.  She was tickling him and following him every place he went.  Finally Dale said, "Mary is such a nuisance and makes me so nervous."

One of the neighbors just had a baby.  Dale is so excited.  He always wants to go and see Philip's baby sister.  Mary got so excited when she saw the baby.

Did I tell you yet that Mary has started taking a few steps on her own?  The other morning Dale was sitting at the table coloring.  Mary was standing by the davenport and she wanted his crayons.  She stood there and yelled for awhile and finally took off on her own.  She took about three steps before she fell.  She really is proud of herself.

We're having some real crazy weather.  Yesterday it was up to 89 and this morning it was snowing.  But it is pretty warm again now.

I'm sure sorry to hear about Uncle Ray.  Is it still that phlebitis that is bothering him?  I think that's what you said he had.

Mary is also starting to climb.  A couple of times she has pushed the hassock over by the davenport.  Climbs up on the hassock and up onto the davenport.

Thank you for Mary's present.  I haven't decided yet as just how to spend it. I'm thinking of patent leather slippers and some of those socks with lace on the cuff.  Do you mind?  She really doesn't need a coat. It is getting pretty warm down here.  She has been wearing a coat and bonnet that Louise gave me when we were home.

Have they found out anything yet about who robbed the bank?

There aren't any special directions for putting that quilt of Dale's together.  But when it is finished please have it about 40 x 80 so it fits the bunk bed. If you want to why don't you just tie it rather than quilt it.

Thanks for sending those Snuffy Smith cartoons.  We used to get them in the paper in Fayetteville, but it isn't in the paper here.  Gary really gets a kick out of them.

I can hardly imagine Bill with a mustache.  We got a letter from him yesterday but he didn't mention any mustache.


I certainly was shocked to hear about Marvin Gunderson.  I feel so sorry for her and Lynn.  Do you know what was the matter with the Troutman baby?

Dale does exercises every day so that he will grow up and then be able to drive the car.  Goodness, I didn't think he would start that this soon.

Mary has gone and lost my hairbrush.  I let her play with it one day and haven't been able to find it since.  I'm afraid that she put it in the wastebasket and it got thrown out.


Well, I better stop and get some supper started.


Love, Gary, Greta, Dale and Mary

I didn't know the bank was robbed.  Now I am wondering if they found out who did it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment