Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Switching gears . . . to 1963

Whilst looking in Grandma's trunk for something wholly unrelated, Mom discovered some letters she had written home to Nebraska from, so far as I've ready, Texas and California.  I think they are a bit of a hoot since she talks about Dale and I quite a bit.  Not everyone has timely reporting on their childhood antics.

So, I will leave Grandma be for a bit and do one of these letters per post until I run out.  I think there are a dozen or so.  Off we go . . .


February 15, 1963

Dear Mom, Dad, Grandma, and Tom,

Well yesterday was a lovely day for us -- got letters from you, Bill, and the Bowders.  And it was nice weather-wise, too.  We had snow on Monday.  It was a wet snow and so pretty.  There was snow on the ground until Wednesday noon.  Dale had a grand time playing in the snow until somebody threw a snowball at him.  Then he had had enough.

Glad to hear Geserich said something to Kant about her dirty floors.  Hope she remembers it.  Have you ever asked Geserich if he has a sister named Carol married to a fellow by the name of Neil Edmonds?  Don't know why I think I have to know.  Just curious I guess.

Oh, this Mary.  I think she deliberately torments Dale.  She takes things away from him and then laughs when he hollers.  The two of them are really having a battle right now.

We got a cuckoo clock from Bill, too.  He had written that he was getting a clock for you and one for Nancy and Jim.  I told Gary that if he didn't send us one too I would skin him alive.  I really like it.  Every time it cuckoos Mary's eyes got so big and then she laughs.  Dale thinks we have a pretty smart clock that can say cuckoo like that.  It comes in real handy when I'm putting him down for a nap.  I put him down at about one and tell him that when the clock cuckoos two times he can get up.  Well he lays there real still and listens for it and of course goes to sleep.

I'll bet Dennis Morris is happy about Bob's having a baby.  I remember Sophie saying he wanted to have a nephew or niece here.

I sure do like my pressure cooker.  I haven't cooked any rice in it yet but have used it for a couple of batches of beans.

I made some whole wheat bread last week.  Gosh, what a mess.  It just didn't behave like white bread.  I don't know what I did wrong, but it tasted good anyway.  Was awfully crumbly though.

We used the money from Aunt Nan for several tings.  We bought new plastic and a heavy stapler and recovered the kitchen chairs.  Then Gary made a cupboard in that space above the refrigerator.  (When Dale saw the cupboard he said, "Oh my, that's wonderful.")  We also bought a rubber mat to put in the bathtub.  The rest of the money I'm going to use for such things as a double boiler, rolling pin, flour sifter, etc. as long as the money lasts.

Aunt Addie sent Mary some money for her birthday.  We used it to buy her some new shoes.  The shoes have bells on them.  Dale really thought the bells were something.  The first couple of days he would go up to her and shake her to hear the bells.  Then the morning when it was snowing he grabbed her shoes (she didn't have them on) and went around here shaking the shoes and singing "Jingle Bells."

Gary has just 39 days left in the Army.  It doesn't seem possible that there is so little time left here in Killeen.  It really will be nice to get back to San Antonio.  Gary is going to take a few more days of leave in March shortly before he gets out to go to San Antonio and get a job settled.  When he was down before the didn't get to talk to anyone about the electricians union.  But did find out that he might be able to get into the carpenters' union as an apprentice.  He also looked into a job at Sears.  But nothing is settled by a long ways.

I guess that is all for now.

P.S.  I thought Grandma might enjoy the clipping; Dale started to cut it up.

Not sure what to add here.  I don't know who Geserich is.  Also didn't know that we ever went back to San Antonio after leaving there shortly after I was born.  I guess I never asked, or maybe it didn't happen that way after all.

The photo is obviously before February 1963 but it was the best I could do at the moment.  If ever I needed to quickly lay hands on the Infamous Sucker Fight photos, this is it.  Hopefully I can find them soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment