Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Anyone else getting impatient?


March 23, 1932 - Quite warm today.  Walked down to Raymond and Alice's tonite after school.  The baby looks like Raymond.  They haven't named it yet.  The folks got back from Fremont about 7 o'clock this evening.  Early to bed.
March 24, 1932 - Scrubbed the hall and porch after school.  A letter from Jane today asking me to spend the weekend with her.  Can't of course.  Wrote to Jane, Mildred, and Aunt Mildred this evening.  Hektographed some work for tomorrow.
March 25, 1932 - Drawing period went pretty well today.  Tonite I walked a mile east of here to the highway to meet Ray.  Roads were too bad to get here with the car.  Went to church at Winside.  Mom is at Ihler Hansen's.  They have a baby girl born last Tuesday.

This is all well and good, but I sure would like to be at the point where Grandpa makes a meaningful appearance.  Patience is a virtue, or so I've heard, so we'll plod along.

I've heard the name Ihler Hansen, but I do not know why unless it was just this or that in conversation.  I looked in the Winside history book, but nothing jumped out at me.

Speaking of the Winside history book, I saw a section I don't remember reading before about the cemetery.  It has all sorts of interesting information, and I see they listed the first few people buried there including Jurgen Brogren, the first burial.  It also noted, interestingly, that Jurgen's mother, Mrs. Ola Andersen, was the 599th person buried.

Unrelated to anything Grandma has written about, I have picked the above photograph of my dog Sharice, aka Reese, aka Stinky because after 13 years of being our pal, I had to put her down this last Monday.  She was a big goof and a bigger marshmallow and could be mighty annoying at times, but I wouldn't have changed her for anything.


2 comments:

  1. I have heard the name Ihler Hansen, too. My relation?? As I recall, Bill Burris told me the pine trees by my old house came from Ihler's. This would have been the 30's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Mom had the spelling wrong. I assume she is refering to Iler Hansen. He is Norris (Toad) Hansen's Dad.

      Delete