Thursday, June 26, 2014

Laundry


April 7, 1932 - Reviewing for the exams like the very dickens.  I'm back in my own room now.  It seems nice but I'll surely miss the evening chat with the girls.  We practiced tonite at the schoolhouse.
April 8, 1932 - Louise asked today if they could stay after school next week to review.  Mom and Ray came up to the schoolhouse after me while we were practicing.  Mr. Scheurich told Ray he wanted a more experienced man.  So that's why Ray isn't there anymore.  Lillie Brogren and Meta Brogren Shipley birthdays.
April 9, 1932 - Washed and ironed my clothes and cleaned up the house.  Used the machine to wash my clothes, too much fun to wash them on the wash board.  Mom came home from Hansen's tonite. Annie, Ola, and family, including Ray, were in tonite.

I think this may be the first real sarcasm we've seen in Grandma's journal.  I remember well the wringer washer, and I have seen a washboard.  I don't recall seeing Grandma or Grandma Anna use one, so perhaps the machine had totally won their trust by the time I was "helping" with the laundry.  I wrote some time back about how neat I thought the bluing was.  I can still see it in my mind's eye spreading out in the clear water after it was poured in.

Since the Winside history book is full of milestones (for lack of a better word) and since I have only shared a few of them up until now, I will go back to the earliest and start putting them in this or that post.  Starting with this one.

     They lumped 1867 to 1882 together:

     March 1, 1867, Nebraska was admitted to the Union as a State.
     During 1868, H. H. Moses bought 520 acres of land in what is now known as Brenna precinct.
     In the spring of 1869, Mr. Moses came out to see the land that he had purchased.
     September 26, 1870, Wayne County was organized in the house on the Scott homestead.
     November 10, 1870, William Stewart bought considerable speculation land in Nebraska, the half section on the south side of the highway or the business section of Winside today, was included in this purchase.
     July 10, 1872, George I. King bought the land where old Northside once stood.
     March 1, 1877, H. H. Moses and Franz E. his son, began farming the 520 acres the elder Moses bought in 1868.
     July 1878, William Hoffman and Frederick Glaser took claims on Humbug Creek, four miles south of the present Winside site.
     October 26, 1879, William Hoffman and Pauline Glaser were married in the school house two miles west of Hoskins, which served as a school, church and all kinds of public gatherings.
     March 1, 1881, A. T. Chapin moved from Blair to his new location, four miles north of the present Winside site.
     1881, Carl Splittgerber and family moved to Wayne County, buying a half section in Brenna precinct.
     1881, H. B. Miller bought the farm two miles east of Winside.
     October 3, 1882, Eugene L. Jones, a farmer near Northside, was commissioned as the first postmaster of Northside.

Either my imagination is getting away from me, or the photo in the book of William Hoffman looks quite a bit like the Hoffmans I am aware of still in and around Winside.  So, I am thinking they may be descended from this particular Hoffman.  But, will confer with my official historian (Mom) and see what she thinks/knows.


No comments:

Post a Comment