Tuesday, June 24, 2014

April Fools' Day and beyond


April 1, 1932 - April Fools' Day, fooled 5 times -- R.J. telephone call this a.m., George's word in school, rap and door blocked this p.m. at school by Maas', I think, Evie's fake call, and an April Fool letter from Pierce.  We were going to practice tonite but I went to the Hoskins class play with Arnold W.  Play real good, "The Man in the Green Shirt."  Reuben Meierhenry and Vona Woods were the best.
April 2, 1932 - Washed some dresses this a.m.  Walked to town and went to Norfolk on the 11:10 train.  Got me a new coat, hat and dress.  Saw the Meierhenry girls and came home with them.  Walkers went to Norfolk tonite, I stayed home, did the dishes, and went to bed early.  Got a letter from Annie and Mom.  Edna Ruschmann's birthday.
April 3, 1932 - To church and S.S. this a.m.  Then over to dinner at Herman Jochens.  Bill Maas' there, also.  And did Ruth say and do the craziest things.  In p.m. took pictures and 6 of us were in the back seat of the Buick, curtains pulled down, and driver alone in front seat.  Fun.  To League and church in evening.

Well, now -- some hi-jinx on April Fools' Day.  I don't think I have ever counted the times I have been fooled, but even though the references are vague and mean nothing to we readers now, they obviously were worth writing down in Grandma's opinion.

Here I have the name of a play to research and cannot find a reference to it anywhere so that I can share something of the plot.  Which isn't all that surprising since I imagine it was a non-royalty play and there have to be oodles of those floating around.

I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact that trains went to and from Winside and Wayne and Norfolk once upon a time.

And good gracious, what on earth went on on April 3?  I can't do it on my machine here, but Grandma underlined the word "fun" three times, not just once.

There are two references in the Winside history book of events from April of 1932:
     April 20:  80 Wayne county farmers have applied for government seed loans.
     April 21:  Mrs. Dave Render called to rest.

The photo is of a Buick from the 1930s or earlier, but of course, I have no idea what year or model Buick Grandma was talking about.  Cool-looking car, regardless.

2 comments:

  1. I can remember the train going west from Winside. It was only freight type stuff in the 60's. I suppose the 60's was the last decade for the train.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder when the passenger trains stopped.

    ReplyDelete