Tuesday, January 8, 2019

A pretty full three days


Tues., August 13, 2002 - Had my usual hair-do.  Delores came in evening and we played Rummikub.
Wed., August 14, 2002 - Went to Book Club in evening.  I'm reading "Once Upon a Town" by Bob Greene.  It's the story about the North Platte Canteen during WWII.
Thurs., August 15, 2002 - Myrtle called in a.m.  Irene Johnson invited me to her apt. for coffee this p.m.  Carol Jean Griffin & Gertrude Widera [?] were there, too.  Had a very nice visit & enjoyed cake with a good topping along with coffee.  Irene sent 2 pieces home with me.  Tom & I enjoyed it along with our supper.  Usual laundry & shower & Rummikub.

I haven't read the book but have read some articles about the North Platte Canteen.  Really an exceptional thing they did; not that other caring and giving activities weren't going on all around the country for the war effort.  But still, something Nebraska can certainly be proud of.

The photo is from history.nebraska.gov.  I doesn't show any cakes but one of the articles I read talked about how the volunteers always had birthday cakes on hand to give to any service member having a birthday.  In one article, one man said it was his birthday so he could have a cake, but it wasn't.  The guy was shamed by his friends and ended up taking it back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment