Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Visiting and chopping wood


Tues., March 9, 1937 - I baked bread and cinnamon rolls.  Howard was gone this afternoon cutting wood at Hendricksons.  Howard wanted to go to Holtgrews but I didn't because I didn't have a clean dress.
Wed., March 10, 1937 - Howard gone all day cutting wood.  We went to Holtgrews tonite -- they weren't home so we went to Carl Troutmans.  Played Pinochle -- home about 12:00.
Thus., March 11, 1937 - Howard cutting wood again today.  I ironed most of the day.  Crocheted while the irons were heating.  The gas iron wouldn't work.

I find it fascinating that in these days, people just up and went visiting in the hopes that whoever they planned to see was home.  I guess it meant you always had to have your house ready for company and perhaps always had something on hand for a little treat or snack.  And coffee, maybe?

I'm glad Grandpa got to cut lots of wood.  I hoped he enjoyed doing it in 1937 as he did much later in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment