Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Canning stuff


Sat., March 6, 1937 - Finished rendering out the lard.  Got all the meat canned except head cheese & liver sausage.  Absolutely hot outside all day.  Howard hauled the straw from Chris' old place.  I helped unload it.  Took Mom home tonite.
Sun., March 7, 1937 - Howard fixed a rack for the canner & partitions for silverware drawer.  I canned 8 half-pints of head cheese & 4 of liver sausage.  Leo, Nels, Raymond & Helen here this evening.  We played cards & popped popcorn.
Mon., March 8, 1937 - Howard's Uncle Nels from Colorado, his dad, & Raymond were here for dinner today.  I put the meat in brine this morning.  Howard to lodge with Mike & Art.

I've heard family members talk about head cheese but do not recall anyone mentioning home-canned liver sausage.  Sounds rather interesting, I must say.

I remember hearing of Uncle Nels of Colorado, but am short on details.  I will have to do a little research.  Is this him in the photo on the left with Grandpa Peter Iversen on the right?

No comments:

Post a Comment