Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Capper's Weekly


Thurs., March 18, 1937 - Howard & Raymond finished hauling wood this morning.  They took the tractor over to Holtgrews this afternoon.  I subscribed for Capper's Weekly.
Fri., March 19, 1937 - Howard at Holtgrews working on tractor.  Started to snow at noon.  Howard went to town this p.m. to get corn for chickens.  Quite a blizzard by evening -- not very cold though.
Sat., March 20, 1937 - Received an apron from Irene today.  We went to town this afternoon.  Clear & thawing today.  Mom has my sweater just about done.  Over to Howard's folks this evening.  Had to walk down the east hill because of the snow that drifted in there yesterday.

I have some fond memories of Capper's Weekly.  I remember looking at it, specifically the recipes and the patterns that you could order.  I had a subscription back in the day, but no new subscription for me now.  It ended publication in 1986.  You can find single edition copies and patterns and cookbooks on eBay, however.  There is a current publication called Capper's Farmer which is under the umbrella of "Grit", as was Capper's Weekly.

I have quite a few of the patterns that Grandma and Mom used to have.  I've made things from them, too, but even if I hadn't or didn't have future plans to do so, I'd probably hold on to them anyway.  It's what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment