Monday, December 24, 2018

Now what??


Sun., March 21, 1937 - Left for Pete's at 9:00.  Had a blow-out 3 miles east on the highway.  Met the folks at the South school & went with them.  Went over to Rews for supper.  Jensens, Iversens & we were the guests.  Had a very delicious meal.
.
.
.
Wed., March 24, 1937 - Howard over to Holtgrews his a.m.  To Wayne this p.m. with Lettman.  Started to snow about 2:30 -- a regular blizzard by evening.
Thurs., March 25, 1937 - Clear and thawing.  Howard went over to Holtgrews to finish working on the tractor this p.m.

I wonder how, in the days before cell phones, that Grandma and Grandpa managed to meet up with Grandpa's parents (I'm guessing) after having a blow-out.  All sorts of ways how it could have worked out, but I'm curious nonetheless.  Problem is, I'll never know.

I titled this "Now what??" because I believe I am at the end of Grandma's diaries from the 1930's.  I know there's nothing more for 1937 in this particular diary because I paged through to the very end.  So, it is up to me to figure out where I left off when I diverged from when she was living in Lincoln to back when she was a young, unmarried lady.  Who knows how long it will take me to find the spot I need and then find the right journal to pick up there I left off.  I vow to try to make it sooner rather than later.

In the meantime, and I do hope it's a short break, here is a photo of Grandma's door tag from the Pioneer House.  As some will recall, she voluntarily took part in a little scheme to check on some of the residents living there.  In the morning, those with tags were to put them on the outside doorknob of their unit.  Then, a volunteer would check all the participating doorknobs to look for tags.  A tag showing would mean the resident was up and about and okay.  If one was not visible, the resident would be called or a knock made on the door just to be sure all was well.  The tag was to be brought back inside each evening.

When we were cleaning out Grandma's unit after she died, I decided to take her tag.  When I see it, I am reminded that everything is okay.  And I rather like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment