Thursday, July 5, 2018

Off to western Nebraska


Sun., August 16, 1936 - Had the dinner with Bess, Dorathea, Irene, Raymond, Helen, Alma and John B. here.  Everything just fine.  Pete's stopped awhile late this afternoon.
Mon., August 17, 1936 - Howard away bailing.  Went over to the folks.  I ironed while they packed.  Helen & Mrs. I. are taking Irene to Sunol tomorrow.  They're going to visit relatives in Colorado, too.  Stayed home while Howard went to Lodge.
Tues., August 18, 1936 - Went to town to wash.  On my way home Stopped to see Florence.  Emelia, Marcella, and Dallas were there.

There is a Sunol, California but, after confirming with Mom, I can say with confidence that Grandma is talking about Sunol, Nebraska.  It is in the Panhandle and therefore, close to Colorado.  And, Aunt Irene taught there.

I am not confused about that, but now I have Grandma calling her grandparents and her in-laws "the folks" so I may be confused every now and then about that.

Photo is of Sunol, Nebraska.  There's not much to say about the town, I suppose.  The population as per the 2010 census was 73.  It was platted in 1909 and a post office was established at Sunol in 1910, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1973.

Credit:  By Ammodramus - Own work, CC0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=14957510

No comments:

Post a Comment