Monday, July 16, 2018

Lots of digging, lots of family




Wed., August 19, 1936 - Howard helped dig silo over home.  The men came over here for dinner.
Thurs., August 20, 1936 - Went to town for Old Settlers Picnic.  Had dinner up home.  Rained good about 6:00 this evening.  We were home by 12:00.
Fri., August 21, 1936 - Howard went over to the folks this afternoon and they dug silo.  I washed up the dishes for Raymond.

I cannot begin to imagine how much digging would be involved to install a silo.  Big around, and I imagine fairly deep to be sure the darned thing would stay put in a high wind.

How interesting that Old Settlers should pop up, given that the weekend before last was our every-three-year family reunion.  Grandma and Grandpa both would have really enjoyed it.  For the first time, I believe, our branch of the family tree was represented via the youngest in attendance; Tanner was 5 weeks old over that weekend.  The number 17 on his onesie says that he is the 17th Iversen born here, from Peter and Maggie's children to Tanner.

As usual, I talked too much to the people I see often and not enough with the people I do not see so much.  Lots of Aunt Helen's family came back for the interment of Uncle John's ashes.  It was a nice service.  I learned quite a bit I did not know about Uncle John when the minister read his obituary.  For example, I had no idea he played in the band for Truman's inauguration.  How cool is that?

In all, a great reunion -- lots of people said so.  And as I said, Grandma and Grandpa would have enjoyed it, probably even more so than some.

No comments:

Post a Comment