Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Hard to keep up


Mon., October 21, 1935 - Ray took me to the 2-mile corner.  I walked the other mile.  Earl absent, the Christensens were back again.  Mom came out after me tonite.
Tues., October 22, 1935 - Car acted funny today.  The report is that Marian Davis has smallpox, so that's why Earl isn't here.  Frederick Niemann has it, too, I guess.  Jean had an earache this a.m.  Mr. Goodling took her home.  Baked cookies tonite.  Howard brought us a pheasant this eve.
Wed., October 23, 1935 - Car worked fine today.  Benthack says Frederick doesn't have smallpox, so Herbert was in school today.

Such comings and goings with students.  Grandma's attendance book must have looked rather festive.

The name Benthack to me means Dr. Benthack at Wayne.  I was not sure of his first name, but found this on the Wayne State College site:

     "While the building boom of the 1950s and 1960s came to an abrupt end, the applied science and home economics programs benefited from the completion of a new Applied Sciences Hall, named for Dr. Walter Benthack, a member of the college governing board (1939-45) and a prominent Wayne physician for more than half a century."

So, perhaps the Benthack Grandma is referring to was this one.  I was not aware there was a Benthack Hall at WSC.  My familiarity with the buildings on campus came from traipsing around for district music contest during my high school years.  In addition to the large halls for the big groups, other buildings were pressed into service for solos and small groups.  If I was ever in Benthack Hall, I have long forgotten it.  I can't believe I couldn't find a better photo.


No comments:

Post a Comment