Friday, July 29, 2016

Sweet


Fri., July 21, 1933 - The Dinette is gloomier every day.  I was up to Marjorie's room again this noon.  I studied late at the library.  Tonite John, Gerald, Uncle Chris, and I played Pinochle on the front porch.  The bugs and mosquitoes just about ate us.
Sat., July 22, 1933 - Today doesn't seem like Sat.  I went to dinner with Marjorie at the Campus Inn. Virgine went to Freshman English with me.  Aunt Mildred wasn't feeling well so I stayed and got supper for her.  After supper Uncle Chris started to take me home but it rained so hard we had to turn back.  We played Pinochle until about 11:00.
Sun., July 23, 1933 - Was up by 10:00 this a.m.  Aunt Mildred and Uncle Chris washed clothes this a.m.  I washed the frigidaire.  Howard was here about 3:00 to see why I didn't come home last nite.  We had milk and dumplings this evening.  Howard was here again in the evening.  I got to bed late!

Perhaps I am just a big ol' softie, but Grandpa coming to check on Grandma and then coming back again in the evening is sweet enough.  But Grandma following the remark that he came in the evening with one saying she stayed up late (with an underscore AND an exclamation point) conjures up the vision of a long, youthful, your-whole-life-before-you conversation between the two of them.  For all we know they talked about totally mundane things, but I'm holding to my sappy interpretation.

No comments:

Post a Comment