Wednesday, July 27, 2016

A book I've never heard of


Sat., July 15, 1933 - Most of today I spent in sleeping.  Mom washed all of my clothes for me.  Mom and I were down town this evening.  The Luther League had an Ice Cream Social in the park.  We had some although it was pretty chilly for that.  Edwin and Aunt Lena brought us up the hill.
Sun., July 16, 1933 - Mom went with Ola's up to Uncle Hans' for dinner.  I went to S.S. and church.  I ironed some of my dresses this afternoon.  Howard came up this evening.  We drove around in the hail struck area.  Some of the fields are just about bare.  I drove part of the way to Wayne.
Mon., July 17, 1933 - As usual I'm tired today.  It was raining at noon so I went to the Cafeteria for dinner.  Marjorie lent me her raincoat to wear home this p.m.  I was very wet when I got here.  I read myself to sleep tonite. with "Babbitt", a book to report in English tomorrow.

The plot summary on wikipedia was much too long (and possibly boring, I don't know -- I didn't finish it), so I'll go with the super-short intro:

Babbitt, first published in 1922, is a novel by Sinclair Lewis. Largely a satire of American culture, society, and behavior, it critiques the vacuity of middle-class American life and its pressure toward conformity. An immediate and controversial bestseller, Babbitt was influential in the decision to award Lewis the Nobel Prize in literature in 1930.  The word "Babbitt" entered the English language as a "person and especially a business or professional man who conforms unthinkingly to prevailing middle-class standards".

I guess the Nobel people liked it, but I likely would have fallen asleep like Grandma did.

Here's a bit more from wikipedia:  Babbitt has been converted into films twice, a feat Turner Classic Movies describes as "impressive for a novel that barely has a plot."  The first adaptation was a silent film released in 1924 and starring Willard Louis as George F. Babbitt. Better known is the 1934 talkie starring Guy Kibbee. That version, while remaining somewhat true to Lewis's novel, takes liberties with the plot, exaggerating Babbitt's affair and a sour real estate deal.  Both films were Warner Bros. productions.

and

In the popular culture section of the article:  English author J.R.R. Tolkien published "The Hobbit"; the title and the originally somewhat complacent and bourgeois character of Bilbo and hobbits in general were influenced by Babbitt.

Isn't it just like Grandpa to want to go look at hail damage?  I would, too, but it's still very Grandpa-ish.

No comments:

Post a Comment