Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Decadence! Three movies in one day!




Fri., June 30, 1933 - My Theory test grade was between 89 & 95, I've raised my grade.  Mom came after me after school, but I'm going home with Alma tomorrow so I didn't go home with her.  We went down town and each of us purchased a white hat.  Tried to rain tonite.  After the shower Alma and I went to the Park, then down town for a soda and Karmel Korn on the way home.
Sat., July 1, 1933 - Gerald carried our suitcases down town for us.  We went to Lautenbaugh's first, down town again about 2:00.  Alma bought 2 new dresses and I got 1 for myself.  We picked out funny cards for each of the folks at 420 Sherman.  Before supper we saw Eddie Cantor in "What!  No Beer?" and Robert Montgomery in "Faithless."  We had supper at the Paramount.  We had a most delicious bacon and tomato sandwich. We met Mr. & Mrs. Lautenbaugh at 7:30 and went to the Rialto to see Heinie & Carl in person.  We also saw Ronald Coleman in "Cynara".
Sun., July 2, 1933 - Alma and I had a good tussle in bed this morning.  We went to a church on Jackson & 12th St.  They use the same service book we use at home.  The church is very large & beautiful.  There were about 30 members in the choir.  They kept in step so well that it looked like one body as it swayed from side to side.  After church we stopped at Marshal's, Alma's aunt & uncle.  Alma went to the train with me.  The ride home was tiresome, dirty, and everything!  I tried to read "Brown America" but it got too dry several times.  Howard came up this evening.

These entries are a bit longer than most; Grandma's notes directed me to the, well, Notes section at the back of her diary since she needed more space than what was allotted for a couple of days.  In the notes section there is an entry by Alma, referring back to May 15.  (I didn't have an indication on that page to go to the Note section -- a sneaky one, that Alma.)

     May 15 - Marian had a grand time with me while dining at Trano's.  Marian proceeded to throw her chicken bone into the corner of the seat.  I, while eating pie, was surprised to find an empty fork in my mouth.  Upon investigation I found that the pie which I thought was on my fork had lit on the table and reposed there in peace.  O hum, another day.

Such fun, but I am having real problems imagining Grandma throwing a chicken bone in a restaurant.

Apparently my post from yesterday was incorrect; Alma must have been just spending the night or weekend with Grandma.

420 Sherman Street is an address is Wayne, but I don't know who lived there in 1933.  I am not finding a Jackson Street, much less a church at 12th & Jackson, but I see a large part of the current Wayne State campus involves 12th Street.  Perhaps the church was relocated or some such when the campus was expanding.

I don't know that I need to post three movie plots.  I will say that Grandma, and who can blame her, got a bit mixed up.  It was Jimmy Durante and Buster Keaton in What! No Beer?, not Eddie Cantor.  I do not know who or what Heinie & Carl are and cannot find a reference to a book entitled "Brown America".

No comments:

Post a Comment