Friday, June 17, 2016

May Day comin' up


Mon., April 24, 1933 - Got up at 6:00 and started for Walkers.  The car stopped east of Raymond's.  I walked over there and he came and fixed it.  Mom waited at Walkers and took me to school.  Rev. Schmitt and family and Rev. Savage were here for supper this evening.  Mom was to have mailed my letter to Ray today.
Tues., April 25, 1933 - Got a ride to school with Bud this morning.  I made 4 May baskets this evening.  Each one is made differently and they each have different colors.  It's rather fun making them again.
Wed., April 26, 1933 - Got a ride to school in the Ford this morning.  Had a ride on the wagon with the boys this evening on the way home from school.  The folks went to church.  I washed and finger-waved my hair.

I remember making and delivering May Day baskets quite fondly.  My kids and I did it for a bit when they were young as well.  One of my favorite books as a kid (the title of which, of course, totally escapes me now -- maybe "The Giraffe That Went To School" but that seems to easy) was about a giraffe.  The girls at a school danced a maypole dance around the giraffe using its neck as the pole.  I've wanted to be part of a maypole dance ever since.  I guess I should put it on my bucket list.

No comments:

Post a Comment