Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Halloween for real


October 29, 1932 - Washed my clothes this morning.  Mom made a jumper for me today.  Went down town this evening and got a library book.  Talked to Alma awhile.
October 30, 1932 - To S.S. and church this a.m.  After dinner Ray and I went to Mayme's.  Mayme, Lloyd, Lee, K.C., Ray and I played Rook.  We had supper, talked awhile and then Ray brought me to Walkers.  Leona Koepke and Verne Frink birthday.
October 31, 1932 - This is Halloween.  The kids were busy today talking about last Friday.  I got a ride to school this morning with Earl Miller and home this evening with the Nurnberg girls.  The new grates and lining were put in the stove over the weekend.  Marjorie Misfeldt birthday.

Someone in the know will have to tell me if the library Grandma is talking about was housed in the auditorium in 1932.  I have no memory of hearing of any other location, but that doesn't mean there wasn't one.  I have fond memories of the little library in the auditorium.  I likely wasn't their best customer, but I went often enough.  I am all for newer technology and e-books.  In fact, I read that there is in increase in young adult reading due to tablets making it more fun and cool, I suppose, than physically going to a library.  There is something satisfying in going to a building of books, however.  I like to walk the fiction aisles and pick books at random that I know nothing about.  I have read some excellent stories and discovered new authors that way that I may not have heard about otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment