Monday, September 28, 2015

Another Iversen sighting and a recipe


November 10, 1932 - Not quite so windy today as yesterday.  Little snow flurries every once in a while.  Got a ride to school with Bud and home with Earl Miller.  Mike came home today.  Jack Kemp birthday.
November 11, 1932 - Ray came after me tonite.  He nailed up the holes in the foundation.  I went to Rebekah Lodge tonite.  After lodge I went to the Armistice dance at Carroll with Iversens.  We had a good time although there wasn't a very large crowd.  (Got sand for sand table today.)
November 12, 1932 - Went to Wayne on the train with Alma L.  Went to see Miss Sewell and Aunt Mildred.  We just about missed the train coming home, had to run for it.  Ray and I were all ready to go to a dance at Uncle Hans' tonite when Willie came and said it was called off.  Ola and Annie, Aunt Lena, Edwin, Florence F. came up and we played Michigan and had lunch.

Does anyone know who Willie is in this instance?  I don't recall a Willie in any of Grandma's previous diary entries.

I was going to resurrect the Sunday recipe posts I did when I first started this way back when with a post yesterday.  But I ended up feeling lousy due to a stomach bug and didn't post at all.  So, here it is Monday and I'm doing a recipe anyway.  I asked Mom for Grandma's recipe book some time ago for a Christmas present project that didn't pan out as I would have liked.  But I still have the book and will find something.

Since it is still sort of zucchini season, here's the recipe Grandma used for zucchini bread.  Her note says she got the recipe from Mom.

Zucchini Nut Bread

3 eggs, beaten
2 c. sugar
1 1/2 t. vanilla
1 c. salad oil
2 c. grated zucchini
3 c. flour
1 t. salt
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. cloves
1 t. baking soda
1/4 t. baking powder
1/2 c. nuts, optional.

Mix eggs, sugar, vanilla, oil and zucchini together.  Add the dry ingredients and mix.  Add nuts*.  Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour or more.  Makes 2 loaves. Freezes well.

*Grandma didn't indicate when to add the nuts exactly, but I'm guessing after everything else is mixed based on previous baking experience.

I do not have the knowledge of trains to tell if the photo is something like the train Grandma would have taken between Wayne and Winside, but it is a train photo nonetheless.

1 comment:

  1. I'm guessing that "Willie" might be Willie Stahl. He would be Mom's cousin.

    ReplyDelete