Monday, July 6, 2015

2015 goings on












September 29, 1932 - My "Wayne County Teacher" came and says that Institute is next Monday and Tuesday.  I played ball this noon.  Talked to Mayme tonite.
September 30, 1932 - Mom came after me about 5 o'clock.  We went over to Behmer's a few minutes to see about having the school furnace fixed.  Annie and Ola and kids were in this evening for watermelon.  Claus, Pete and Clara were here a few minutes, too.
October 1, 1932 - Mom, Ray and I went to Norfolk this morning.  I got some school prizes.  I went with Ray to the barn dance at Carr's tonite.  Had such a good time that I want to go next Saturday.

I am guessing Institute is what we called teachers' convention (I think that is what we called it in my day anyway . . . my day is 35 years ago now).  I do remember we got out of school for a few days and that was what mattered.

This last weekend was the Nielsen-Iversen family reunion.  We didn't make it up for the Friday night weenie roast and fireworks, but went to the gathering on Saturday at the Legion Hall in Winside.  I feel safe in saying a good time was had by all.  Dorothy Jo wished to pass along her recording secretary duties and gave them to Mom, who wasted no time in passing them to me.  I suppose I should find out what all is involved so that I do not drop the ball somewhere along the way.  I did a very quick count of the sign-in sheet and counted 89 people for the Saturday lunch.  Not bad.  Not bad at all.  The next reunion, in 2018, will be Grandpa's kin's turn to be in charge.  The last I knew the weenie roast would be at our place and the Saturday meal in Wahoo.

I made a concerted effort on Saturday to talk to people other than those I see most often and did pretty well.  I had a grand time sketching out the family tree for Sabrina.  I think I managed to clear the air rather than muddy up the waters, but the family tree is a slight bit confusing for the younger ones.  I am so happy that she wanted to know who was who and what was what.

The photos are from 4th of July picnics in the past.  Thank goodness.  Some of these hairstyles and fashion statements definitely need to stay in the past. (The blog program has a limit on the characters in the label box where I name who and what is in the post -- so I couldn't get everyone tagged.)

4 comments:

  1. In the top photo I see Mom, Dora and Dorothy Jo - so who is the other person? Is it Jean or is it Johanna?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have any idea what years these pictures were taken?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really off the top of my head. The one with the big bunch I want to say is about 1996 or 1997 based on Christopher and Mitch's size/age. But unless I find the photos and there are dates written on the back, I am probably not much help.

      Delete