Thursday, June 25, 2015

Some more Winside history


September 26, 1932 - I forgot my keys this morning and was at the schoolhouse when I thought about it.  Rained all day.
September 27, 1932 - Had to play policeman because of muddy shoes, but still the floor got pretty full of mud.
September 28, 1932 - I got a letter from Mayme.  She said Leona wants to go with us to Institute.  I called up Mayme and told her I had planned that she and I might stay at Aunt Mildred's.  That suited her.  Tillie Eckert birthday.

Since I am still remembering how great the Q125 was, I'll do some Winside history whilst I contemplate Grandma's goings on.  Here is 1902:

     January 1, 12 inches of snow on the level, temperature 10 below.
     January 18, the Winside Roller Mills burned to the ground.
     March 3, L. S. Needham filed his petition in the district court of Wayne County, Nebraska, praying that all of that portion of the north one half of section No. 3, in Township No. 25, Range 2 east, Wayne County, Nebraska, lying south of the C. St. P. M. & O. R. R. right of way, excepting that portion which is platted, be disconnected and detached from the corporation of the village of Winside, Nebraska.
     May 6, Guy R. Wilbur was appointed village attorney for the remainder of the year.
     June 2, Board ordered all parties having obstructions on Jones, Allen, Whitten, Vroman, Miner and Graves streets, removed that the streets may be opened for public travel.
     July 7, Harry Prescott was appointed to fill the vacancy on the Board of Trustees, caused by the resignation of L. S. Needham.
     November 15, Board ordered the old windmill in the village park taken down, as it was decaying and a danger to public welfare.
     December 23, an ordinance, No. 58, granted to the Nebraska Clark Automatic Telephone Co. the right to use the streets and alleys for the purpose of building and maintaining a telephone system.
     December 25, John Mundy had a 17-pound turkey for Christmas dinner.

Hmmm.  Most often cities and towns are looking to annex property, not detach it.  I am being completely silly, but it could be read that the good Mr. Needham shaved off part of town, got criticized for it, and then resigned, all in the same year. 

I was perusing the Wayne County history book a bit the other day and they sure included some salacious things in there not found in the Winside history book -- murders and prairie fires and scalping and all kinds of things.

As for Grandma, I need to be very careful I don't leave keys and other things behind.  Starting when I was just a young thing, I made it a habit to look behind me whenever I got up from a chair in school or at church or wherever, because I kept leaving things behind.  Forgetting my work key would not allow me to go home and get it before I could work, unfortunately.  They have a duplicate around there somewhere.

The photo is there as a parallel to Winside's 1902 snow and back when I probably wasn't forgetting too many things.

No comments:

Post a Comment