Thursday, January 15, 2015

Rebekah Lodge


July 7, 1932 - Got up at six o'clock and started getting ready to wash.  Grussfather turned the machine for me.  All the clothes on the line by 11:00.  Slept this p.m. and also sprinkled the clothes for ironing tomorrow.  Ralph Ruschman's birthday.
July 8, 1932 - Was up to see Alma L. a few minutes this a.m.  Ironed, baked 2 cakes, and fixed a stocking for Alma.  Went to Rebekah Lodge tonite with Alma.  They had joint installation with the I.O.O.F.  I have an office, I'm L.S.V.G.
July 9, 1932 - Slept late this morning and didn't get all my work done, so had to finish it this aftenoon.  And it was so hot!!  Got 2 library books tonite.  Ray and I went to Carroll.  No one there we knew, so we went to Hoskins.  There were so few at Hoskins that the orchestra had left.  So we came home.

I remember the Rebekah Lodge being mentioned every now and again, but I am pretty sure it was not going on in Winside when I was young, or I would have heard much more about it and possibly have been a member.  The organization is still in existence and I plucked the following from their webpage:

"The Rebekah’s are a Fraternal Order, as well as a Service Organization. Our members must be 16-18 years or older, believe in a Supreme Being, Creator and Preserver of the Universe, and be faithful to their Country. Rebekah’s exhibit the true principles of Odd Fellowship which are Friendship, Love, and Truth and in this day and age are extended to rendering service to our communities- SERVICE IS OUR GOAL.

Becoming a Rebekah offers many opportunities to:
  • understand the principles of Friendship, Love, and Truth
  • be involved in leadership training applicable to everyday life.
  • have a more purposeful life.
  • develop enduring friendships far and wide.
  • become an active participant in your community.
  • broaden your mind.
  • help children, the elderly, and the less fortunate.
  • develop an inner satisfaction that money cannot buy.
  • have a warm friendly welcome in strange cities and distant lands.
  • have companionship at a time of loneliness.
  • enlarge your circle of friends.
  • use your talents to help others.
  • have fun.
Become a Rebekah and change your life!

REBEKAH CREED

I AM A REBEKAH: I believe in the Fatherhood of God, the Brotherhood of man, and the Sisterhood of woman.  I believe in the watch-words of our Order - Friendship, Love and Truth.
Friendship - is like a golden chain that ties our hearts together. Love - is one of our most precious gifts, the more you give, the more you receive. Truth - is the standard by which we value people. It is the foundation of our society.  I believe that my main concern should be my God, my family and my friends. Then I should reach out to my community and the World, for in God's eyes we are all brothers and sisters.  I AM A REBEKAH!"

I also found a site wherein the author stated the creation of the Rebekah Lodge said more about men at the time than women, in that the Lodge gave the womenfolk something to belong to and kept them from being out on the town during the men's lodge night, it allowed the men to keep an eye on the women, and kept the women out of the men's lodge.  If that was the case, at least the Lodge morphed into something more important than those three things.  And now, women are allowed in the IOOF.  So there.

I tried two different photos to add concerning the Lodge, but neither will load for me.  So, instead here's a photo of Grandpa with a beard.  As I recall the beard may have been for Old Settlers' or the Nebraska centennial. 

1 comment:

  1. The Rebekah Lodge was still going when I was in high school. I remember that Janet Petersen and I rented the hall for a Halloween Party. They met above Weible's grocery store. I'm sure you remember going up those steps that were behind the store. That was the building across the street to the east from Jensen's cafe. It was torn down a couple of years ago.
    The beard was from Old Settlers in 1965 when they celebrated the Diamond Jubilee for the Village of Winside. After it was over the folks came to see us in Sacramento. You were scared of Daddy when you saw him. Did the hide behind Mom thing. But you soon got over it. I had asked Daddy not to shave it off before they came because I wanted to see it. But he insisted I shave it off as soon as possible because "people kept looking at him" on the train.

    ReplyDelete