Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Picking peas


July 4, 1932 - Out to Annie's this a.m.  Fixed stockings for her and baked my cake.  Went with Ray to the Farmer's Union picnic at Hillier's.  Saw Lewis and Florence Jenkins.  Home about 7 o'clock.  Then to picnic at Ezra Jochens with A.W.  The Hoskins League entertained the Madison League.
July 5, 1932 - I got up at 10:30 and Ray at 11 o'clock.  Ray and I picked the peas.  After dinner Ray went out to Ola's.  I was the Director for the R.N.A. Juveniles this p.m. at Roxie's in Mom's place.  Went to bed at 7 o'clock.
July 6, 1932 - Washed my silk undies.  Went out to Clara's this p.m. while Mom came in to town.  We had a rain and hail storm about 3 o'clock.  Quite a bit of hail, but it didn't do much damage here.  To League at Dorothy J. tonite with Arnold.

My guess is that Grandma and Uncle Ray were tired from staying out late with 4th of July festivities.  My evidence is that they slept late when there were peas to pick...in Nebraska, in July.  I would surely rather pick earlier than that.  Plus, Grandma went to bed that same night by 7 o'clock.  I would wager they had a fun and/or late 4th.  But picked late or no, it is hard to beat fresh peas from the garden.  I found it a relaxing way to pass the time, as opposed to a chore, to sit and visit and shell peas.  Good times.  Definitely better than picking the darned things.

I haven't added any history from the Winside book for a time now, so here is what we know about 1898:

     April 4, Ordinance No. 46 was passed, granting certain rights and privileges to the Nebraska Telephone Co., its successors and assigns, regulating the height and erection of poles and wires and protecting same in the village of Winside, Nebraska.
    July 5, estimate of expenses for the ensuing year, $920.00.  The saloon license was set at $725.00 and the levy at eight mills.
     November 7, the petition of J. R. Mundy and others for the purchase of 300 feet of fire hose was left to the chairman to check up on the price and report to the board at the meeting on November 14.
    November 14, the board voted to buy 300 feet of hose, costing $85.20.
    November 17, the Civic Societies in Winside are A. F. A. M., Einigkeit Lodge, Modern Woodman, Torvelsens Lodge and the Dunbar Castle Lodge.  Markets:  Hogs, $3.00; Cattle, $3.75 to $4.75; New Wheat, 16 cents; Oats 18 1/2 cents; Ear Corn, 20 cents; Butter, 10 cents; Eggs, 10 cents to 12 cents.

Good thing there was a saloon or two in town since the licensing fee for just one covered quite a bit of the yearly expenses.

1 comment:

  1. That saloon fee seems really high for that time. I'm not sure it's that high now. But then I assume the levy is higher. Don't really remember what it was when I lived in Winside.

    ReplyDelete