Thursday, January 29, 2015

Busy, busy, busy


July 13, 1932 - Ray took me to Wayne this afternoon.  We visited with Aunt Mildred awhile.  Had my certificate registered and talked to Miss Sewell.  Mom went to Ladies Aid at Mrs. Wilson Miller's.  Ray took me to Hoskins and I got my contract all fixed.  Saw Arnold and talked to him.  I drove the Ford home.  Lena Brogren's birthday.
July 14, 1932 - Mom sewed today.  It was terribly warm today.   Annie and Ola were in here awhile this afternoon.  Mom and Ray went out to Hans Andersen's tonite and I went down to Florence Schellenberg's.
July 15, 1932 - Mom and I waxed the upstairs floors.  I washed out some clothes.  This noon Ray went out to Wm. Kant's to work.  Arnold came up tonite.  I drove his car 8 miles east of Winside and back again.  Birthdays - Mildred Walker, George Moore, Chris Brogren.

I wonder if I would get as much done if I had the summers off as Grandma does.  I thinking back, she seems to be doing or going or fixing or cleaning or something every day.  Of course, in making that assessment, I need to remember (if possible) was it was like to be 20 years old. 

Here is the Winside history for 1899:

     July 13, F. W. Sornberger had the distinction on Monday of making the first shipment of wool ever to go out of Winside.  It was the season's clip from 250 sheep, and weighing 1860 pounds.  It brought the nice sum of $262.00, which is an excellent price.  This was an average clip and ran about 7.5 pounds each which is also good considering most of the sheep were ewes.  The price figures about 14 cents a pound or about $1.05 per sheep.  Mr. Sornberger also has 225 lambs which will help to even things up a little.  He figures that not counting his feed, he has about broken even with the board in one year.
     September 3, the thunderstorm of Saturday night seemed to have everyone on edge.  One bolt of lightning struck the chimney of the G. H. Glaser saloon, partly demolishing it and shaking up the few occupants inside.  Another bolt struck the house of Fred Thies a half mile north of town.  Mr. Thies was upstairs at the time and received a shock passing down his body, then over to an old trunk, then to the wall, going down inside to the foundation, and tearing out a hole in the wall about two feet square where it left the building.  The lightning melted the coins in his pocket into a mass.  Mr. Thies is recovering from the shock and considers himself very lucky.

I would concur -- very lucky indeed.

It has been a while since I used this photograph of Grandma Anna, Uncle Ray and Grandma.  I think it appropriate since all were involved in the events above.

No comments:

Post a Comment