Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Wind v. barn


June 1, 1932 - Ironed and cleaned Grussmother's bedroom.  Varnished the floor in her room.  Went down town tonite and asked Anna Pete about her permanents.  Got home just before it started to rain.
June 2, 1932 - Cleaned the west room this morning.  Mom varnished the bedroom floor again.  This p.m. I went down to Anna Pete's and got a permanent.  Went to Frank Kurrlemeyer's chaivari dance at Hoskins tonite with Arnold.  Had a really good time.  (Walked out to Ola's this a.m. in the mud to tell him Nick Hansen wanted him to work today.)
June 3, 1932 - Quite tired today.  We got most of the cleaning finished in my room and the hall bedroom today.  Ray, Mom and Grussmother went out to Bill Koepke's tonite to see how the wind treated their barn.  I stayed home and went to bed.

I am guessing there was some wind damage to Bill Koepke's barn -- regardless I like Grandma's use of words.

I have been neglecting my Winside history, so here is 1894:

     May 4, yearly occupation tax of Winside saloons was set at $700.00.
     July 19, estimate of expenses for the ensuing year, $990.00.  The levy was set at 10 mills.
     December 7, the city clerk was ordered to notify property owners on the west side of block one, Original Town of Winside, to build a sidewalk 4 feet wide as per specification within 20 days.

Well, that was short and sweet.  I must say though it seems a bit nasty to require sidewalks to be built in the dead of winter.  And as if to bring home my point, I found the above photo during a very quick internet search.

No comments:

Post a Comment