Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Only $50


June 13, 1932 - Too muddy for Ray to work today.  He and Mom went out to Ola's this a.m.  I ironed this a.m. and p.m.  Went down town a few minutes before supper.  Tonite Tillie, Harold J., Arlington, Donald, and Buckie came up and we got our stunt planned.  Mom and Ray came home about 10 o'clock.  Arthur Kahler birthday.
June 14, 1932 - Mom and I got Ola's car this morning and went to Hoskins.  Albert Behmer and Fred Jochens are the new board members.  I guess I get the school again but will only get $50.  Ray and I went to the Alumni tonite.  We had a pretty good time.  Anna Laura Cooper birthday. 
June 15, 1932 - Annie came after me this morning.  She went out and worked in the field.  The kids and I took a nap this p.m.  Tonite Ola went to a Farmer's Union meeting.  Annie, the kids, Louis and I stayed at Frinks.  Edna Wagner birthday.

Fifty dollars a month for teaching.  Seems crazy now.  We do have the benefit of Grandma's ledger that is in the back of this particular diary to see how she spent her vast wealth.  She didn't start anything until September and quit by early November -- bookkeeping apparently was not her thing back then.  Maybe the new school year gave her the short-lived motivation.

I find it rather fascinating that Grandma's handwriting didn't change much at all from age 20 until age 80 and beyond; it is easily recognizable.  I think my handwriting from my twenties is quite different from how I write now.

Half of Grandma's first paycheck in the new school year went to repay Grandma Anna and then one-quarter to room and board.  Thankfully it seems she had enough to stay afloat and increase her cash on hand by a good bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment