Tuesday, May 21, 2013

End of an era for me


"May 3, 2002:  Spent the whole day at Randolph School.  Mary took me.  They had Elder Day and Parade of Books.  A wonderful day.
May 4, 2002:  Called Jean today for her birthday. Played lazy -- yesterday was a "big" day.
May 5, 2002:  Nancy brought fried chicken for dinner.  I showered while she ironed three dresses for me.  Then we played Rummikub."

How ironic that Grandma would mention Randolph School.  As of today, I no longer have a child in the Lincoln Public School system.  Anna finished her last final this morning.  I do not know about her, but I am feeling a bit weird about the situation.  I guess now I can recycle my flyer about how to contact the attendance office that I wrote the kids' student identification numbers on.  Like I said, weird.

I do not know if they still do the Parade of Books at Randolph Elementary.  I thought it was fun.  The kids carried a favorite book along a somewhat short neighborhood/school route and we 'elders' were along the route and clapped and oooed and ahhhhed like a real parade.  The kids were encouraged to dress up like a character or in some way illustrate the book.  Unfortunately, most kids did not -- either their parents were not supportive of the project, or more likely, the kids forgot to tell them until too late.  I know I was good at that, as were my children.  And not just with book parades.

Here's a photo of Dale (Master's Degree) and me (B.S. degree) at our co-graduation.  It is somewhat related to today's post.  Kinda.

No comments:

Post a Comment