Friday, May 3, 2013

Dandelion disappointment


"April 18, 2002:  Talked to Myrtle -- they had strong winds, some hail and rain Tuesday night.  We had some rain and a little hail.  Tom here for supper -- did the washing and we played Rummikub.  Maintenance men here today working on the radiators.  They started yesterday when I was gone.
April 19, 2002:  The men left the davenport in the middle of the  floor yesterday.  They came back today and moved it back.  They said they would be back Monday to finish the job.  Seemed to be a small leak and the carpet was damp.  Mitch and Anna came tonight and we played Yahtzee.
April 20, 2002:  Rained most of the afternoon.  Nancy brought a chicken rice casserole for supper.  I showered and then we played Rummikub." 

I have nothing to say to expand and what Grandma wrote this time, but I was reminded of a completely different Grandma story by a different avenue.

This story is from when we lived in the little house in Winside (not the little red house, but the one before the last house -- I know that makes sense to some of you).  There were lots of dandelions in the yard and so Mom told Dale and I she would pay us one cent for each one we pulled.  We set to work and it is nice when there are two working instead of one, especially when you are a kid.  Well, apparently we were very productive and we counted up our "crop" and reported to Grandma our big windfall once Mom came home to pay us.  Grandma said that we should accept a half a cent for each dandelion.  I remember being more than a bit crestfallen.  But, we did not defy Grandma and so I guess we offered our reduced pay proposition to Mom.  The funny thing is, I do not recall presenting the offer nor do I remember if Mom paid us the original price, or the reduced price.  My memory is only have being told by Grandma to do something, and obeying.  I think I was born knowing not to question Grandma on anything of that nature but loved her bunches anyway.

Here's Dale and I in our pre-dandelion days.

1 comment:

  1. I remember this incident, but like you I can't remember if I paid you the amount I offered or the one suggested by your grandmother. I do know that you kids pulled a lot of dandelions.

    ReplyDelete