Friday, September 27, 2019

Done and done


Tues., November 19, 2002 - Nancy here at 7:30.  We thought the surgery was to be in the morning but it was changed to afternoon.  Mary came & we told her to come back after lunch.  The nurses took me to the "room" about 12:30.  Mary came back a little after 11:00 and Dale also came.  Back in my room about 3:00.  All went well.  Tom came in the evening.
Wed., November 20, 2002 - Bill's birthday.  Nancy stopped in the morning before work.  Lora took me home from the hospital.
Thurs., November 21, 2002 - A home nurse came in a.m.  Zoya brought telephones so I could pick one out I wanted to use.  Lora brought a scale.  I was told to weigh myself every day-- since I had no scale she brought one -- my Xmas present from the Wahoo Iversens.  Nancy came in evening -- brought potato soup -- did the laundry.

It still amazes me that one can be opened up for a fairly involved surgery in the afternoon and then go home the next day.  It's good in most cases I'm sure, but still impressive and slightly unnerving in my opinion.

How nice that even with everything going on, the first thing Grandma mentioned on the 20th was that it was Bill's birthday.  Seems fitting to find a photo of the three kids that were mentioned in these entries.  (And look, Tom's smiling!)  Surely Mom called at some point there to find out things were going?  Maybe she talked to someone other than Grandma.

3 comments:

  1. I do like that picture. I must admit that most of that surgery is a total blur to me. I don't remember stopping before going to work. Evidently it all went well. But what is the deal with Mom picking out which phone she wanted to use? Anyone remember?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only vaguely. She had a phone, obviously, already. Did she need something special so the pacemaker could talk to whatever it needed to talk to when she did her checks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might be it cause she already had her lifeline phone. Maybe this was something so they could check her heart.

      Delete