Friday, March 10, 2017

It took some research


Thurs., January 31, 1935 - Warm again.  Mud tracks in easily these days.  We had mashed potatoes and macaroni for hot lunch.
Fri., February 1, 1935 - A letter came from Mom today saying that Meta's baby had died and was to be buried tomorrow.  Howard took me to card club at Iversen's tonite.  After others had gone, we talked about the play until 2:45.
Sat., February 2, 1935 - Ray came home this a.m.  Ordered play books.  Went to funeral this p.m.  Uncle Hans, children and families were at our place afterwards.  Attended S.S. teacher and workers' meeting tonite at Niemann's with Alma.

Without Grandma's 1934 diary, I had a bit of trouble finding out what baby died.  I am glad I called Mom to ask what she knew, because her information pointed me in the right direction.  The Meta is Meta Rose Brogren.  She was married to a Lyle Shipley and had three children (that I've found so far anyway) before they divorced and she married Robert McDonald.  The baby was Vernon Ray Shipley born November 11, 1934 and he died on January 31.  I could not find a photo of his tombstone.

I know Grandma was an adult with a job and everything, but living at home and keeping some of the hours she kept just keeps me shaking my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment