Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Scandal?


Sun., November 12, 1933 - A real wind storm raged all day.  At about 2:00 p.m. it was so dark that it seemed like 5:00 or 6:00.  The dust sifted into the house.  Edwin went home about 10:30.  I went to S.S. and church.  We had Holy Communion.  Didn't do much this p.m.  Howard came about 6:00, but I wasn't ready until 7:00.  We stopped at the school house and started a fire.
Mon., November 13, 1933 - I'm glad a fire was started last nite, so much warmer in the school house this morning.  Everything was covered with dust.  After school I washed three of the north windows and wiped down the woodwork.  Had to put compound on the floor.  I baked a cake after supper, Mrs. Mellor's sour cream chocolate cake.  It fell a little bit.
Tues., November 14, 1933 - Delmar and Bruce were at school ahead of me this morning.  We played outside this noon, although it was rather chilly.  George had a headache at recess and I sent him home.  Tried to write lesson plans this evening but didn't succeed.  Mrs. Behmer and I talked until 10:30.

Students arriving to school before the teacher?  Sounds scandalous to me.

Speaking of students and their teacher, I was copying part of the Nielsen/Iversen family history book that Jean and Margie did back in the day to send to Mitch.  I couldn't help but read bits here and there while I was at it.  I stumbled upon a little story I had not heard before.  Here it is straight from the book, under Margie's section:

     Marjorie, Jean and Allen attended 28 North school with Marian Andersen as their teacher, she later married their uncle, Howard Iversen.  They walked the one and a quarter miles to school most of the time with Allen and Jean dragging and helping her along.  According to Jean, she would say "Now Yeannie, you KNOW I is the lillest one"  And it worked wonders.  Sometimes they would cut across the fields as a short-cut and in one hay field stood a hay stack that was fun to climb and slide down the sides a few times on the way.  One morning they stayed a little too long and suddenly heard the school bell ringing and ran madly -- but they were late.  When Marian asked why the five of them (there were two neighbor boys that walked with them) the older boys said some dumb thing like the cows were out or something.  To their amazement, she didn't believe it and they had to stay after school -- she had seen the reflection of the sun off the bottom of their dinner buckets as they were sliding down the stack!

I chuckled after reading this story and had NO problem whatsoever in believing it.  Grandma was nothing if not sharp as a tack.

No comments:

Post a Comment