Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Even more painting


July 19, 1932 - Gave the kitchen floor a second coat of paint, painted the kitchen table, stool and chair, and some more small things.  Mom canned 3 quarts of bean pickles.  I was down town awhile this afternoon.  Washed curtains, a dress and a shirt.
July 20, 1932 - We fixed the border on the kitchen floor and three small rugs, varnished the stair steps and ironed a few clothes.  Florence came up this evening and we went down town.
July 21, 1932 - Finished our odds and ends of painting today.  Fixed kitchen curtains and tie-backs for upstairs.  Tonite F.S. and I walked out to Annie's. We came back at about 9:30.  We could hear the band playing in town and sat down in the road to listen to it.

I am not sure which road Grandma is talking about, but I certainly don't recommend sitting in the road in the dark, or near-dark at the very least, to listen to a band.  But then, the traffic around Winside isn't, and probably wasn't, that nutty so they were likely just fine.  Actually, the more I think about it, that sounds like a nice time. (Much better than sitting in the grass or weeds by the side of the road.)  One of my favorite things to do is drive around at night in the heat of summer with the windows down, so sitting with a friend listening to music like they did was probably very pleasant.

I don't have a photo of Florence, nor of Winside at night, nor of me driving around in the summer, so the best I could do was a photo of Grandma sitting, though not in the road.  At least I think she is sitting down here.

No comments:

Post a Comment