Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Snow, snow. snow


Sun., January 10, 1937 - Howard walked over home today. Met Carlos Martin who said Foxie [?] was coming down this road with the snow plow & the farmers should help.
Mon., January 11, 1937 - Howard helped scoop all morning.  This afternoon he went to town with Carl.  He came home with Holtgrew -- left the groceries there & walked home.
Tues., January 12, 1937 - Howard took the tractor over home today to get our car.  I rode along with him.  We got stuck in the pasture coming home and left the car there.

It must have been really bad, she said, searching for the Winside history book.  I had to clear part of my office once for the install of my new desk, only to be told the vendor forgot to order my desk.  I put everything back, only to have to clear again recently once the desk finally came in.  Anyway, I found it.  This is what it said for part of January 1937:

"January 1, Winside was completely isolated when the worst blizzard in years struck suddenly today.  School will be closed for several days owing to the high drifts.
January 14th, snow has again blocked the roads and railroad. Three trucks were used to take the snow off of Main street."

The January 1st snow mentioned was the one when Grandma commented she could barely see Grandpa when he was outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment