Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Winside history; moving buildings and the first car


February 17, 1933 - This morning Raymond told me about the fun they have in H.H.S.  Ray came for me at 3:30.  Mrs. Behmer stopped at the school house a few minutes.  I went over to Behmers and got my order.
February 18, 1933 - I washed my clothes this morning.  Ray and I were out to Ola's a few minutes.  Meta came to stay there, today.  Al Martin died early this morning.  Grussmother has a bad cold, in bed most of the time.  Grandad is not so good either.  Went to bed about 10:00.
February 19, 1933 - To S.S. and church.  Martha was in church.  She came home with us for dinner.  Chris came after her about 2:00.  Ray, Grussfather, Mom and I played 500 Rummy this p.m.  I went to League tonite.  After that Ray took me to Walkers.

I must admit Al Martin is a name I have not heard before in Grandma's diary, nor in listening to endless hours of adults talking when I was a kid.

I haven't done much Winside history lately, so here we are where I left off, in 1904:

     January 6, Wm. Schrumpf resigned his position as agent for the railroad and will take up the new Board of Trade, set up in Carter's store.
     March 24, August Redmer expects to move his opera house next to his saloon as he figures he can get most of the trade when something is held.
     April 21, Mr. Schrumpf is back in the depot again, the Board of Trade closed its doors.
     April 28, the question of building a new school house is being agitated.
     June 2, Frank Perrin was awarded R.F.D. No. 2.  Mrs. Spicer had a run away on route No. 1 today.  I. O. Brown is going to move his frame building out in the street and will erect a fine new brick building.  J. J. Tracy died, resident here since 1885.
     July 28, Tom Lound has moved his frame building back on his lot for a store room and will erect a new brick Drug store.
     August 11, Frank Weible has installed a gas engine in his elevator.
     August 25, Gust Bleigh bought the pool tables and bowling alley from John Dimmel and will move them into his building across from Weible's.
     September 8, Dr. A. B. Cherry purchased the first automobile through Fish and Brugger.   Rollie Fish accompanied Dr. and Mrs. Cherry to Sioux City and rode home in the new automobile.  An expert had charge of the machine and remained a day or so to teach the Doctor how to handle it.  The automobile is a two seated Rambler.
     September 28, I. O. Brown is moving his frame building on the same site as the Opera House and the latter is being moved next to the Redmer saloon.
     October 11, the Opera house is now in its new location.
     December 25, I. O. Brown distributed quite a few gifts to the children of Winside in the true Santa Claus style last night.

Boy, buildings got moved around quite a bit back then.  As near as I can tell from the location of the photo in the history book (right near 1904) and the notation on it, this is the car in question.

No comments:

Post a Comment