Friday, April 22, 2016

Home at 3:30 a.m.!!!


February 23, 1933 - Mr. Behmer and Mr. Jochens put up a new flag rope, also they brought along my contract!  Now I'm sure of my school for next year.  I traced and inked patterns this evening.  If this warm weather continues we're going to have an hour noon beginning Monday.
February 24, 1933 - Weather still like spring.  Ray came about 3:30.  We went up to Uncle Hans' to a dance tonite.  Martha went along with us, but Chris took her home.  I had a real good time.  Home at 3:30.  Emelia, Art, kids, and Hansy are here for a 2 weeks visit.
February 25, 1933 - Ray and I went to Norfolk.  Went to "The Sign of the Cross".  Good picture but sad.  Cashed my check and deposited some of it.  Meta, Lyle, Emelia, Art, Annie, Ola and kids were her for supper this evening.  I went to bed at 9:00.  The others didn't go to bed until 12:00.  Emelia, Art and kids stayed here all nite.

I have no further comment on Grandma staying out until 3:30.  Goodness sakes!  There certainly was a big crowd for supper that one night.

There isn't all that much information on this film on Wikipedia, and since it is my go-to for all things cinematic, I'll not research any further.

I did find out the film is the third and last in DeMille's biblical trilogy with The Ten Commandments (1923) and The King of Kings (1927).  Ol' Cecil took his time between installments, but I imagine with them being quite the epic productions, it took a while to get them filmed and ready.

Apparently there is a famous scene in which Poppaea (Claudette Colbert) bathes in asses' milk.  It took several days to shoot.  DeMille announced to the press that real asses' milk was used; however, it was actually powdered cow's milk.  After a few days under the hot lights, the milk turned sour, making it very unpleasant for Colbert to work in the stench.  To save production expense during the Great Depression, existing sets were reused as well as costumes left over from the making of The Ten Commandments.  DeMille also attempted to provide out-of-work actors jobs as extras such as the crowd arena scenes.




4 comments:

  1. All I can say is that I'm glad February 24, 1933 was a Friday. So Mom wasn't trying to teach the next day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems she paid for it anyway (see today's post)

      Delete
  2. I just wish we would have known about her late hours when we were still at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just like I wish I had known about the rocking chair with clothes draped over it until it fell over!

      Delete