Thursday, February 4, 2016

Lots of goings on, some that I can't decipher




January 15, 1933 - To S.S. and church this a.m.  Harry H. came home with us and had dinner.  We played Rook and Pitch this p.m.  Harry kept us laughing most of the time.  Some of the neighbor boys were over awhile, they didn't stay long.  We had fried bananas for supper, they were very good.  To League and church this evening.  The fernery was blocking my door when I got home tonite.
January 16, 1933 - Much colder.  Nurnbergs back to school.  Bud surely felt ornery today.  Scared me twice.  Came up to the school house and knocked so hard I thought a giant was there.  When I came down stairs before supper, he made a funny noise that caused me to wilt.  Listened to minstrels, embroidered, and helped Mote hunt Bible questions.  Mayme left me a Xmas present at the school house last nite, a blue silk bag for soiled hankies, etc.
January 17, 1933 - Still cold this morning.  Walkers had company for supper tonite, Fred Jochens, Albert Meierhenrys, and Clarence Schroeders.  After supper the girls went with the Wittler kids to Madison.  Lydia, Evie, and Mote are staying until next Sunday.  The men played Rook this evening and the ladies talked.  To bed at 12:00.

I would try a bit more to make sense of or find a deep meaning in Grandma's words, but I am a bit brain-weary.  Long story short, last night I found a freezing cold baby goat in the goat shed (thank goodness we finally got it inside the pen -- another long story).  Was not certain his momma had been bred, let alone that any birth was near.  She wasn't too interested in him.  So, I spent a long night thawing out goat milk I had planned to make cheese of (sorry, Mom), looking online for advice, trying to figure out how best to handle the whole situation, and cuddling a little bundle that didn't sleep the best but did manage to pee buckets on me.  Having a blast!  (Check out the little bit of white at the end of his tail!)

No comments:

Post a Comment