Sunday, January 29, 2012

Quilt finished, Sunday recipe

"January 20, 1990:  Finished Greta's quilt.  We had 3 to 4 inches of snow.

Snow flurries on the 24th and 27th."

In a little over two weeks, Grandma had finished hand-quilting my mom's quilt.  This would have been a full-sized quilt for a single or double bed.  Not bad for a woman almost 80 years old.  I remember quilts in frames at Grandma's house.  They and the frame would pretty much take over the dining room.  I don't remember where Grandma and Grandpa ate or played cards when there was a quilt in the frame.  I found a list of recipients, dates and names of patterns representing at least 70 quilts.  One had 1,549 pieces.  Another was made from embroidered blocks my great grandmother, Anna, did in 1940.  Grandma pieced those blocks together in 1986 and did the quilting in 1989.  I think I know where I get my procrastination gene.

I decided to include in this blog recipes I remember Grandma making.  I'll try to do this on Sundays until I run out of recipes.  Not that she didn't cook and bake a lot of things, I just don't know how many I will find to share.

Choco-Cherry Nut Drops

2 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 unbeaten egg
1 1/2 t. vanilla
1 c. margarine
1 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
1 c. chocolate chips
1/2 c. chopped nuts
1/4 c. chopped maraschino cherries

Cream margarine and sugars.  Blend in egg and vanilla.  Beat well.  Add dry ingredients, which have been sifted together, gradually.  Stir in chocolate chips, nuts and maraschino cherries.  Drop by rounded teaspoonsful onto greased cookie sheets.  Bake at 375 degrees for 10 - 12 minutes, until done.

I remember these cookies as being pretty darned good, and not overly sweet.

1 comment:

  1. These cookies were a special favorite of Tom's. Mom always made sure that she made them at Christmas time and if she knew that Tom was coming up to Winside for anything she tried to make some so she could send the most of them home with him.

    ReplyDelete