Sunday, November 1, 2015

Contest? And a recipe


November 25, 1932 - Mom, Ray and I went with Irene Gaebler and Mrs. Unger to Wayne this morning to vote in the contest at Wayne.  I baked a cake this afternoon.  Ray and I went to the surprise party for Florence S. this evening [her birthday].  She was surprised.  We danced in the dining room and front room. I had a good time.  
November 26, 1932 - We went to Norfolk this morning and did our Xmas shopping.  I went to the library this p.m. and read awhile.  Tonite 35 young people went to Wayne in one of Ed Granquist's trucks to vote in the contest.  We were crowded but it was fun just the same.  Ella Eckert Willers' birthday.
November 27, 1932 - Ray worked down at Nieman's filling station this p.m.  Tonite Ray and I went up to the school house and started a fire, took my suitcase to Walkers, and then went to the dance at Hoskins.  Had a pretty good time.  Art and Rudolph Kahler are here again.  Art went to York with Walter.

I do not know what the contest is that allows multiple votes by the same person.  It must have been something fun and/or important for multiple trips to Wayne.  Especially, taking a truck with a whole passel of kids.  Hopefully Grandma will clue us in later.

Since it is Sunday, and since Grandma mentions baking a cake, I will add a cake recipe here.  It is in her handwriting but there is no reference as to who she may have gotten the recipe from.  Also, I do not recall her making this particular cake, but my memory isn't what it used to be.  Without further ado, I give you:

Coconut Pound Cake

1 1/2 c. Crisco
5 eggs
1/2 t. salt
1 c. milk
2 1/2 c. sugar
3 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1 c. coconut

Cream Crisco and sugar 10 minutes. Add eggs one at a time beating 5 minutes after each addition.  Sift flour, salt and baking powder together.  Add alternately with milk to creamed mixture.  Blend in coconut.  Turn into a well-greased and floured tube (Bundt or angel food) pan.  Place in cold oven.  Bake at 350 degrees for 90 minutes.

I should make this; I bet the duck eggs will make for an extra-special texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment