Monday, November 10, 2014

All the bases covered


June 9, 1964

Dear Mom and Dad,

Well, here I am, late again.  Hope you had a happy anniversary.

We've been having winter weather.  It really rained yesterday.  But it was really needed.  Snowed up in the mountains.


Took Dale to the doctor yesterday for his physical.  They strongly recommend that all kids have a physical before starting school.  I'm very glad to say he is healthy in every way.  Mary was amazed by the whole process.  Dale had to strip to his shorts and she wanted to take her clothes off, too.  After

the nurse took his temperature she said, "My turn, my turn."  The doctor was real nice.  Talked to Dale all the while and put him at ease.  The kids both got the Sabin oral vaccine.

We had a nice letter from Aunt Ethel.  She said they had gone to the Alumni Banquet and saved Gabe from getting the flowers again.  Have they quit sending out cards about the banquet? I sure would like to get back to one of them some day.


Ever since we got back from Aunt Irene's I've been going in circles.  Seems like I'm busy all day, but I still don't get anything done.  I should be doing some real good cleaning of closets, shelves, drawers, etc.  But never seem to find the time.  Guess I'll just have to set a certain day to start and do it no matter what else needs doing.  Can't say I'm looking forward to it very much.

I'm getting an itch to do some sewing again.  I have a shirt for Dale and a dress for Mary (the same material) all done but.  But haven't felt like finishing them.  I haven't even done any work on my afghan lately.  I don't know what I do with a day.

Sure hope it clears up today.  The kids are just about out of underwear.  I can hang clothes in the basement, but it takes about 24 hours for things to dry.  Especially things like underpants.


I'm afraid my visit to L.A. sort of ruined my weight losing.  All that delicious food and easy living and I gained back nearly everything that I'd lost.  Not that I had lost much, but at least I had made a start.

We got a letter from Bill last week.  He didn't have too much to say, but he sounded in better spirits than he must have in your letter.


Nancy said Lloyd was home.  Is that for good or just a leave?


I didn't get to see Ramon while I was in L.A.  Just happened that he was out to sea at the time.  After all the weekends that he's been in and then he has to be gone just when I'm there.

Tom is coming along this summer isn't he?  Judy and Trina wanted to know.  They said they were going to try and save the bus fare and come up while you folks are here.  I sure got a bang out of those two.


Raymond said he was coming, too.  To see Dale.

Well, I really must get to work.

Love, Gary, Greta, Dale and Mary

Mom sure got a lot of things talked about in this letter.  From what she said (not my interpretation at all), she may have been avoiding things like cleaning by writing an extra long letter.  I know that is what I would be doing.

I am guessing the Raymond that was coming to see Dale was Raymond Jones since Mom would have probably referred to Uncle Raymond as . . . Uncle Raymond.

The photo was developed in 1964, obviously from a visit to Nebraska.  I'm using it for two reasons -- it is likely close in time to the letter and it is one of my absolute favorite photos of all time.

1 comment:

  1. I love all the different expressions on the faces in this picture. It seems like there are to many legs though. Can't quite figure them all out.

    ReplyDelete