Monday, August 11, 2014

A new clothespin bag


May 16, 1932 - We washed today and such a beautiful day.  Took a nap this p.m. and then sprinkled the clothes.  Leeroy is getting so big.  He's so wide awake and happy practically all the time.  Annabelle can talk your head off if she once gets started.
May 17, 1932 - We got our ironing done today.  Took a bath and nap this afternoon.  Ray and I went to the Old Time Dance in Hoskins tonite.  Didn't have a very good time, not many there.  A boy and girl were here in Winside asking for me last nite.  They left before Grussmother could tell them where I was.  I think it was L. & A.  Just my luck not to be at home!  Brrr!
May 18, 1932 - Hot and windy today.  Got up quite late this morning.  Made a new clothespin bag.  Started straightening up the mess in my room.  I was going to go to the Commencement exercises tonite but was too lazy to get ready, so went to be early instead.  Lyle Jenkins birthday.

Oh, my . . . a clothespin bag.  I am sure Mom remembers when I made her a clothespin bag/apron for either her birthday or Mother's Day.  I was reasonably young when I did it.  I had learned to sew on the sewing machine (thanks, Mom!) earlier than my friends, but still I missed catching the bottom seam.  Instead of sewing it first and then adding bias tape for some pizzazz, I did it all at once and some of the clothespins were able to fall out.  It had three pockets in a line so Mom simply didn't use the defective pocket. What I remember most though, was how I used Mom's old one to make a pattern for the new one and was proud for such a wonderful and labor-intensive gift and then Grandma kindly telling me that such a thing wasn't really best-suited for the occasion -- a reminder of chores as a gift.  I was a bit wounded at the time.  Funny thing is, I don't remember Mom's reaction to the apron, only Grandma chastising me ahead of time.  She must have been having a bad day since that wasn't really like her to rain on my creative parade.

This photo must be staged because that lady doesn't have a clothespin bag or apron at all.

Back to Winside history, here is 1893, short and sweet:

     March 7, permission was given to Messers Tracy and Dixon to move the J. G. Hayes building on the street to be used for a hardware store until a new building can be put up.
     April 4, 242 votes were cast at the village election
     May 1, F. W. Burdick resigned as village attorney.
     May 2, Winside saloon tax was set at $550.00 for the ensuing year.
     July 29, the board granted to the Ladies Aid Society the right to use the park for picnic purposed.
     September 4, H. E. Mason organized the school into classes and put in the ninth and tenth grades.


1 comment:

  1. I remember the clothespin bag you made for me and I appreciated it very much. I used it until I moved to Lincoln.

    ReplyDelete