Saturday, September 24, 2016

So sad


Fri., September 1, 1933 - Mother ironed and canned vegetables at Kochs' today.  She got home about 2:30.  I slept late this morning.
Sat., September 2, 1933 - I went to Wayne on the train this morning and up to Aunt Mildred's.  Met Alma at the noon train.  After dinner we went to the teachers' meeting at the courthouse.  We stayed for supper (by Uncle Chris' invitation) and John took us to Winside about 8:30.  Mom met me with the news that little Leeroy had been drowned in the tank this evening about 6:00.
Sun., September 3, 1933 - Ola, Annie, Uncle Hans and Aunt Lena were in this a.m.  Mom made a little white blouse for Leeroy.  Mr. Behmer was here early this p.m. to tell me they would be gone this evening.  I asked him if I could have tomorrow off for the funeral.  He came back this evening and said I could.  Reuben Meierhenry was up here a few minutes. Howard took Mom and I out to Ola's tonite.  Mom stayed all nite.

Such an awfully tragic thing to happen to a little boy and his family.  But how special that just days before Grandma took some pictures of him and he asked her for that kiss.  Special memories for all of them, I'm sure.

The article is from the September 4 printing of The Lincoln Star.

No comments:

Post a Comment