Monday, June 11, 2018

Getting closer


Fri., May 29, 1936 - We baked today.  I had to go down town this p.m.  I was to meet Alma to buy a shower gift for Lena Nieman Miller but she went to Norfolk.
Sat., May 30, 1936 - Decoration Day.  We went out to the cemetery at 6:30.  Came home, had breakfast and went out to "the place" and painted.  Came home at noon.  Aunt Emma, Hilda, Roland, and Seigfreid here in p.m.  Mom and I hemmed napkins.  I went after Ray tonite.
Sun., May 31, 1936 - Ray, Howard, Marian and I went out to the place and painted a while.  Sunday evening Ola brought Willie down.  Howard and Marian took Ray to Jones', Willie to Hamer's and Irene to Pete Christensen's.  It rained a very little bit around 11:30.

Any readers out there will immediately note the use of "Marian" in the May 31 entry.  There's nothing in Grandma's diary for that day, but there's a folded up piece of paper stuck in there with Grandma's handwritten notes for May 30, and Grandma Anna's notes for May 31.  Grandma Anna also comes to the rescue on June 1 and I'll post that next time.  I guess Marian had a lot on her plate coming down to the wire.

The newspaper clipping from the wedding (also stuck between the pages of the diary) reports Grandma's bouquet contained blue delphinium, and white sweet peas and roses.  I can't get much from the wedding photo regarding the delphinium, but here's a photo of some that may or may not resemble the type she had.  Photo from outsidepride.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment